Reply to "Pairing questions"

quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
I was at a restaurant for lunch with a couple who are friends of mine and the lady ordered the lobster Mac and cheese for lunch. She asked what wine to order and I told her whatever white wine you like. I'd have gone with a chardonnay off the by the glass list.

quote:
Whatever white? Confused

So, you think/advised a Chenin Blanc, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris or Semillon work have worked well, just to name a few? Roll Eyes

Good lord...

I think this establishes it perfectly. Some people (and MWG, I'm not trying to give you a hard time on this one, but like W+A I just stronly dissagree with you here) don't know how to pair dishes well.

And I'll dissagree with W+A and say that under the right conditions, a Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon would have worked well... for example if it was a well made CA wine that saw a bit of oak; specifically, I think a Peter Michael L'Apres Midi would actually be a good pairing with this dish. But a NZ grassy tropical fuit pink grapefruit SB would not work at all. Nor would the austerity of an Austrian SB.

Generally, to me, lobster mac and cheese screams Chardonnay almost as loud as any dish can.

Yes, meatloaf, depending upon preperation can pair with most reds. To me, I would generally prefer a Grenache based one with a bit of eath funk, thus the Southern Rhone rec I gave. Though, Grenache from other regions (particularly Toro) would work well, too. As would most other reds. But OP did not know that. I will admit, I chuckled to myself when I read that someone was looking for a rec for pan fried "fresh water" fish. But then, given OPs preperations, it was advisable to get him to use a high acid white (or bubbly). And even if someone posts: "I need a rec for a rosted rack or lamb" (which, to me, in traditional prepration, is the single most versitle dish for a red wine pairing) I'll respond with: "Cote Rotie. But almost any red could work." And if the thread turns into, well, why?, then people might actually learn something.

So, in short, yes, some people are a little eager and some people do need help. But that is why they post.