Reply to "Ontario Survey"

I'd say something about how anally strict they are at the Lewiston border (as compared, for example, to Pearson), but I suppose they won't care much about Customs strictly following the law...then again if I got a speeding ticket for going 101 in a 100 zone I'd be pretty pissed off.

Just crossed at Lewiston yesterday.  Away for 14 days.  Me and gf and her two kids.  Total goods of $2,000, with 12 bottles of wine accounting for $1,950 of that.  Everything honestly declared, receipts in hand.  The $800 per person duty limit applies to kids as well as adults, but kids can't bring back 2 bottles of wine because they can't legally use it.  Female customs officer...ugh, always bad luck with them.  Away for 2 weeks total duty-free limit of $3,200 for the four of us, two 7 year olds in the back seat half asleep, and not only does she tell me "you have to pay duty on 8 bottles" but she flags us for a search.  Zero break on paying duty, $650 paid.  Guards came to the car after I paid, asked to see the wine, looked at the sealed wine shipper, said jokingly to each other "well it doesn't look like he could have more than 12 bottles in there" and said have a nice day.  If I flew in through Pearson I likely would have been charged a tiny amount or just waved through.  Last two times through Pearson with many more bottles I was treated much differently and given huge breaks on duties payable...stupid expensive hobby lol