Reply to "October 2018 - What are you drinking?"

steve8 posted:

Last night at dinner with the visiting Seaquams, Vinaigre, KSC02, Mimik and our better halves. The theme was (more or less) wines from 2001

2012 J-P & Benoit Droin, Chablis, Vaudesir GC

2001 Sassetti (Pertimali), Brunello

2001 Paolo Scavino, Barolo, Bric Del Fiasc

2001 CVNE, Rioja, Imperial Gran Reserva

2001 Penfolds, Shiraz, Grange

2001 D'Arenberg, Shiraz, The Dead Arm

2001 Antinori, IGT, Solaia

2001 Domaine de la Janasse, CdP, Vielles Vignes

2011 Domaine du Pegau, CdP, Cuvée Laurence

2005 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey, Sauternes

A terrific evening with great friends and outstanding wines. Excellent meal at Monsieur B, although the place was a little noisy.

Hard to pick a WOTN as all were excellent, except maybe the Janasse, which I found to be too bretty (I was stuck on the band aid smell). The CVNE was just gorgeous. As was the Sassetti, although the nose faded after a while. I agree with Vincentric's comments above on the Bric Del Fiasc, excellent but should improve. Once again I really enjoyed the Dead Arm and there was a consensus opinion that it was actually better than the Grange, not even considering the huge price difference between them. The Solaia is drinking really well and stood out from everything else because the Bordeaux character. The Pegau is outstanding, but way young. The Lafaurie delicious but not their best vintage.

A night of great company, great wines, great food. In other words, about perfect!

Every wine showed well, though the Grange was, as noted, disappointing for a wine with its reputation, and easily outshone by Dead Arm. I enjoyed all of the others, but found myself going back repeatedly for small pours of the Solaia, which was highly reminiscent of a fine Pauillac with its pencil lead and currant flavour, a very classy wine that went wonderfully with my risotto that had cubes of roasted lamb in it.

It's an indicator of just how much we were enjoying all of these wines that a bottle of 2001 Penfolds Cab Bin 707 never even got around to being opened, and so went back to be enjoyed another day.

Thanks to all for bringing these outstanding wines.

IMG_6123

Attachments

Photos (1)