Skip to main content

Reply to "October 2014: What Are You Drinking?"

Last night

- 2001 Fritz Haag Riesling Spatlese Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr -- apple, grapefruit, mineral, great acidity, long finish that fades slowly, delicious (was killer with a spicy carrot soup)

- 2009 Vincent Girardin Moulin a Vent Clos de la Tour -- this almost seems to be getting darker each time I open one; beautiful nose of dark fruits and sage; lots of ripe cherry, berry, mushroom, sage, espresso, good acidity, long finish, terrific Beaujolais; this was the only bottle served blind, and our guests who are pretty wine-knowledgeable were convinced it was a young Savigny; I still have quite a few and wouldn't be surprised if this wine will still improve over the short term

- 2009 Manoir du Carra Moulin a Vent -- very juicy, lots of berry flavour, slightly peppery, medium-long finish, very nice

- 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon -- also quite dark, with big nose of berries, quite floral; flavour closest to blackberry with mineral, black pepper, silky, good acidity, long lightly-tannic finish, still on the upswing; about the same intensity as the Girardin, differing slightly in flavour and with a hair longer finish, excellent; there's still a bit of this left so I'll be able to try a small glass again tonight