Reply to "Non fruity wines"

Agree with pretty much everything that's been said.

At this point in your wine career, it might be worth a little palate experiment.

For example, buy a Napa Cab/blend and a French Bordeaux (preferably left bank to keep this as similar as possible). Consider investing somewhere in the $30-$50 range per bottle. Taste both and see what you think. As many have said, sweet and fruit are not the same things. Anything from a good producer should not be "sweet" but more likely than not the Napa Cab will be much more fruit forward than the Bordeaux (which you'll either enjoy or not)

Then, you could consider a "new world" Pinot (maybe stick with Oregon Pinots for this first try) and compare that with a Burgundy (and you could even consider throwing in a Rioja just to spice things up a bit). Again, you shouldn't notice a huge difference in sweetness per se, but the flavor profile, the presence of fruit forward flavors will likely be quite different. And then, once again, you need to let your palate decide.

After a fairly packed 2013 of experimenting much more actively with "old world" and aged new world and old world wines, my palate still leans toward younger new world wines but I'm starting to redefine what "younger" means. A few years ago, younger meant 2-5 years old, and now I'm appreciating the slightly mellowing that comes with a bottle that is aged more in the 5-15 year range

Suffice it to say . . . a lot of variables here and trying many different types of wines is the only way to truly decide where to go next