Reply to "Non fruity wines"

quote:
Originally posted by Whoopdido:
So, I'm still learning the ins and outs of this whole wine thing but I think it's safe to say that I don't like fruity wines. I've never been a fan of white wine because it's always been too sweet and fruity for me and I don't like fruity red wines either. I had a 2008 Fore Family Pinot tonight that I really didn't like because it was so sweet and fruity. That seemed to have jogged my memory that other wines I haven't liked were also sweet and fruity.

What kind of tasting notes should I focus on if I definitely don't like sweet and fruity wine? Am I right in thinking that I'll enjoy older wines vs newer wines? The fruitiness tends to go away as wine gets older right?

I generally don't go for fruit first in my red wines, either.

Yes, older vs. newer. But even more importantly, old world vs. new world (and "modern" European).

Look for comments like "traditional" and "rustic" (and "old world" and "classic") for wines from France and Italy. Some Spanish producers, too, like Lopez de Heredia and CVNE (both Rioja producers) would also work for you, though much/most of Spain has gone "new world" in its approach to wine making.