Skip to main content

Reply to "NFL 2019"

Both the Championship games were very boring, the Niners worse than the Chiefs.  In both cases the losing teams hung on to a grossly failing plan on defense long after it should have been abandoned.  

The Titans just refused to rush more than 4 in any situation.  I mean Blake Bortles could have won that game given the 5-9 seconds Mahomes had to look down field.  As the game got later, it got worse.  You could argue it was damned if you do, damned if you don't, but by the 3rd quarter the Titans should have known it wasn't working.

I actually felt pity for the announcers in the Niners game, it was that bad to watch.  The Packers remained 100% committed to stopping Samuels and Kittle from beating them in the middle of the field the entire time Mostert ran away with the game 8 yards at a time.  Even into the 4th quarter the Packers stayed in that 4-3 zone base with the linebackers 5 yards off the line.

They in effect neutralized the biggest risk for the Niners, and that was having the ball in Jimmy G's hands.   The Chiefs used 46 and 8 men in the box to stop Henry, daring Tannehill to beat them.  The first time I remember seeing the Packers run 46 was deep in the 4th quarter and as soon as Kittle caught a pass, they were back in the 3-4 Zone.  I think that was around the 8 minute mark in the 4th.

Maybe it's the curse of Belichick and that infamous 23-3 deficit.  He was all in on stopping Matt Ryan, let those Falcons run all they want, it's a strategy he uses all the time actually.  Just shut down one thing and stick with it until the other team implodes in hubris.  It's like a game of chicken, who is going to cave first.  Shanahan has the most famous cave in Super Bowl history, I don't think you'll ever see him get away from something working ever again.

Anyway I'm not hosting for the Super Bowl, so if you find yourself wine tasting around here, you're invited to my neighbor Todd's annual party.  It's a short walk from our house and I'm tending bar.  There are 5 beers lined up on tap and I do margaritas and manhattans.  It's going to be a Niners heavy crowd.