Reply to "New Member Intro"

Wow. Thank you for all the great advise. Sorry for the absence, I thought I have signed up to receive notifications for the thread.

Regarding the cellar, I am still nailing down my temperature swings and humidity. I have decided that I am actually going to build a five sided enclosure that will be about 10x10 and about 4 feet tall. Enough room to sit, but not stand as that would require substantial digging, permits, possible floodplain hassle, and I am not into that. We may someday finish the basement, so I am definitely going function over form here. There is only about 6 inches or so of the basement cinder block that is above ground, so temperature stability has been pretty decent.

Totally agree on the amounts of wine. I have wiggle room in the depth and width, so I am looking to build for anywhere between 500 - 1000 bottles. I haven't looked at storage options as far as shelving, so I am sure that will make a difference. I am not sure if it makes sense to start looking at shelving before I finalize the dimensions and frame the space. Any advice on that is appreciated.

I am currently storing about 4 or 5 cases in the area I intend on using for the cellar/huge wine cooler. I should mention that of those wines in storage, only three - five of those will likely be consumed before the end of 2014. I also have a few large formats that I keep down there, my prize of which being a SLWC's 1985 Accord in the 3L format. Too be honest, though, that is not likely to last too much longer. I think it is long enough in the tooth, even for the 3L. What I mean is, I am cellaring for the long haul.

I look forward to jumping on some other threads on the forum and thanks again for all the great advice. I'll also look into the Denver Off Lines. My wife and I are in Vail, so we will likely hold-up in the mountains until springtime.