Skip to main content

Reply to "NBA 2015-2016"

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Fusionstorm, it all comes down to execution. If Barnes missed that shot, the Blazers claim that was their plan. Teams pretty much have to pick their poison. Having Curry with the ball to kick it out to an open man is a common play.

I didn't watch enough of Mark Jackson coach, but isolation plays were pretty common back then when he played and that's how he learned to coach. You give your best player the ball on a one-on-one match up. To be fair to Jackson, the team he coached was very raw and just started playing together. And, I think Luke Walton could've drawn up the same play. Let's not drink all the Warriors Kool-Aid and put Kerr in the top coaching echelons just yet. Wink

Thanks for affirming my point, DD. Jackson doesn't have the chops to coach an NBA team past a certain point. No way do the Warriors win a championship with Jackson at the helm.

As for the "raw" aspect, I'd highly disagree. The team as currently constructed was pretty much all there during the Jackson years. All of them were high IQ players who'd played significant roles for D1 programs. Do you think that Steph was taught iso ball at Davidson, Klay at Wash St, Dray at Michigan St, Barnes at UNC, Iggy at U of AZ, Bogut at Utah, David Lee at Florida, etc.? All those guys came out of programs where plays and sets were the norm, not the exception. So they get to the NBA, and Jackson has to "dumb down" their offense b/c they lack the background? No way.

There's a reason why Bogut, Barnes and DLee were happy to see Jackson go. And why Jackson has thrown Steph under the bus on multiple occasions. Only Dray seems to still be cordial with Jackson (I was literally 10 feet away from them when Dray came over and gave Jackson some dap after the Dubs had clinched the WC title against HOU last year), and even Dray would attribute his development, success and size of his bank account to Kerr and not Jackson (as well as DLee getting injured).