Reply to "Napa Valley trip help!!"

quote:
Originally posted by Brunello Drinker:
Lunch at Bistro Jeanty is always outstanding from my experiences.

I was there less than a year ago and the food was terrible. I almost asked for a life preserver for my fish because it was drowning in butter.

Okay, now to suggestions for yrac.

For a unique historical visit, check out Bale-Grist Mill. It is the oldest operating mill on the west coast and they make some of the best flours, cornmeal and polentas.

For eating, it is pretty hard to go wrong with Mustards, Brix or Rutherford Grill. Not high end, but just good food for the money.

For wineries, check out Domaine Carneros, they give a great tour. Ladera also has an excellent tour, but you will need to call in advance.

If you like wines that are more about elegance and balance go to Corison, Clos du Val, Chateau Montelena or Philip Togni. Smith Madrone is another good winery, as is Amici, Graeser is another excellent winery as well. Keep in mind, these are wineries that are old school. They are not going to be your huge fruit forward wines.

A couple others I would recommend would be Heitz, and if you have a little extra cash, the tour at Opus One is well worth it!!