Reply to "Napa the week of April 6th, recommendations please"

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
Some good recommendations above, but I don't agree with the negatives regarding Del Dotto. I had a tasting there (no tour) and found the people great fun and the wines outstanding. If you don't like this type of decor be sure to stay away from Darioush.

I dont know how anyone could evaluate a wine with LOUD music blasting and so many people in that main area/lobby. Even inside the "caves" you could hear the music, and there were at least 3 other "tours" going on at the same time. As far as we could tell, and the people we spoke to, its a place that people go to get hammered. Other wineries called it the 'Party Palace' and 'Del Blado'. Had the tour been free, or $25 a head it wouldnt have been so bad...but $50 each for what we got was a joke. To each his own.

We did do Darioush, based on another recommendation. While the decor is just as tacky as Del Dotto, the tour is actually a tour, the host was knowledgeable, and after the tour, you go to a sit down tasting with various cheeses and 6 wines. After that sit down tasting (in a private room within the caves), we went upstairs to another room where the host poured a few other wines to try. It was very good.