Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

Again I think I've misrepresented myself. I've always been a big believer in watching movies in their correct aspect ratio. I can't imagine watching a film and not seeing all of it. As I said, I prosthelytized about it all the time, but most people just didn't get it or just didn't care. Many HATED that the movie only took up half of their 4:3 cathode ray tube TV screen and genuinely preferred to watch the pan and scan version. I know the streaming services and networks can and do butcher films.

I gave up trying to educate others years ago.

While we're on the topic, though, I also was and am a big believer in accurately calibrating your TV so you're seeing as wide a gamut of tonal and colour range as possible. Most TVs are horrendously calibrated. Watch a golf game on them, and the fairway is always electric green. People would agree to let me calibrate their sets with my Blu-ray Disc, but more often than not they didn't like the results. Even though the colours and skin tones were perfectly natural and accurate, they preferred the over-saturated colours and compressed tonal range where the bottom 10% of the range (the near-blacks) was squished down to solid black. Same for the near-whites. Totally blown out.

I gave up trying to educate others about this, too.