Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

sunnylea57 posted:

My “1999” comment was because I think the whole aspect ratio discussion was relevant back then, but not so much these days.

I prosthelytized about it back in the day but have barely given it a thought in 15+ years. Most systems these days play movies in the correct aspect ratio. Besides, most people don’t care. And won’t listen if you try to convince them otherwise. 

"Most systems these days play movies in the correct aspect ratio."

It has nothing to do with the system--I hope I haven't been giving anyone here that impression. It's a decision that's being made by the streaming, or cable, company showing the movie.

"Besides, most people don’t care."

I'm not interested in most people. I am only trying to reach people who might understand that film is an art form and and that the artist's decisions (which includes aspect ratio, the "frame of the artwork") be respected. HBO, of all companies, is one that often shows you only 80% of the movie. You're paying full price you might as well get all you paid for. 

BTW, this, and the broken movie streaming model (a discussion for another day), is why I own a lot of DVDs.