Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

winetarelli posted:

The Favourite

This is a movie with great performances. Emma Stone and Olivia Coleman give singular performances that I don’t think anyone else could give in similar ways. While Rachel Weisz has the most normal role and gives an equally great performance in it. 

I enjoyed myself watching this. It is funny, at moments laugh-out-loud funny, and throughout the vast majority at least funny-adjacent. It is about Queen Anne and those around her. There is *some* historical fact here. But this is very loose interpretation of the actual events. (Though, upon research, the film is shockingly more historically accurate than I predicted.)  The movie is better than bad, probably better than mediocre. It is not a masterpiece. 

I have no idea how even to begin to approach writing something else meaningful. I mean, I was there. But the film is bizarre and then it ends.  I suppose I could write a lot, but I don’t want to give anything away. But the (land) duck racing is not one of the stanger parts of the film. I’m probably going to have to watch this again if I want to figure out where in the C to A- range it should be placed.  Wow. Worth the viewing just to have an opinion. Definitely the type of film you will likely want to talk about afterward.  B  (Or thereabouts.  I think.)

Thank you for the review... I will check the film out.