quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
Touch of Evil was available on demand last night.

Can you think of a greater opening scene in any movie?

As an art enthusiast, my eye always catches the Jacques Mahe de la Villegle / Mimmo Rotella like wall seen as the camera tracks the bomb moving toward to car.

One of the greatest movies ever.

I'm struck by how Welles uses the camera and light and darkness in this movie. It reminds me a lot of the Third Man. I'd like to see this and the Third Man on a big screen sometime.

I don't know if you meant this, but it's directed by Carol Reed.

The Third Man, you mean. Yeah, the obvious connection is that Welles acts in both, but the camera work in the two reminds me of the other.

Speaking of which, even though it's just the credits, the feeling that you get seeing the still zither and then the strings moving to play that great them song--sublime.

Also I found this critic's response on Wikipedia, "The film's unusual camera angles, however, were not appreciated by all critics at the time. C. A. Lejeune in The Observer described Reed's "habit of printing his scenes askew, with floors sloping at a diagonal and close-ups deliriously tilted" as "most distracting". American director William Wyler, a close friend of Reed's, sent him a spirit level, with a note saying, "Carol, next time you make a picture, just put it on top of the camera, will you?"

Completing missing the point: Holly is an American who is constantly being thrown of guard, he's never sure of his footing and it's all reflected in the pace and style of the film.

And while we're on great openings, how about the great ending? (No spoiler) Reed takes an incredible amount of time to get to the punchline.