Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

On the spur of the moment we went out and saw Star Trek Into the Darkness last night (we missed the start of Now You See Me, so this was the back up film). Really fun popcorn flick. I think they've done a great job with being true to the TV series (and subsequent films) but updating it without following the original story lines. So, characters die now that didn't before and similar events happen but to different characters. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I won't go into detail for those who remember this stuff. But, either I wasn't paying attention to the last film and they are operating on a parallel time line or the writers / producers are really smart by re-building a new franchise out of an old one by re-mixing the old stories. My only complaint with this re-boot, is with Simon Pegg. I like him. I like his acting. I just don't think he's the right guy to play Scotty. Otherwise, I think this is a lot of fun to watch. Better than the original cast, which is weird because this cast is made to look like the original cast. So you are watching actors playing actors playing characters, at least of Spock and Bones (Zachary Quinto playing Leonard Nimoy playing Spock). It's almost like a Sat Night skit, but without the laughs and it works.