Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

This is the End

B/B-

Further review tomorrow, but it is basically exactly as it advertises. Six famous buddies in a house dealing with the apocalypse and the ridiculousness, conversationally and situationally, that ensues. The fact that the characters are playing it straight (well, as straight as possible, and they are pretty self-aware) and not winking at the camera is what makes the movie work. Although, "work" is relative as, despite very good production value, the scope of the movie is necessarily limited. I expect some will hate it, some will love it, and some will find it just above average -- which is where I fall. (There were, however, about a half dozen times I laughed out loud.) Also, I needn't state the obvious, but there is a wonderful, though brief, bit of fresh air in the movie; timing-wise, however, I think it happens too early.

Another addendum for tonight: while it is never mentioned in the movie, an unstated joke running through the movie is that virtually everyone involved in the movie is Jewish, which wouldn't be funny if it weren't for their universal (movie) acceptance of the Christian god. "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are all the same thing. It is like tiramisu." Yes, that line happened.