Skip to main content

Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

On the subject of Tom Cruise...

I think he has been a very good movie star in certain roles that called for limited acting. Specifically: Risky Business, Top Gun, and A Few Good Men. Additionally, he has shown himself to be a good actor in movies such as Magnolia and Collateral. There are very few movie stars who are also such good actors that you forget who you are watching when seeing one of their movies. And Tom Cruise *certainly* does not fall into this category. But I enjoy some of his earlier work for what it is, and I think he has shown serious acting talent from time to time, though not consistently nor recently. As a person, I thinkwe can all agree he is an egomaniac of the highest order, and, frankly, he strikes me as a bit of a jerk.

Last night saw You Don't Mess With the Zohan. I have to preface this with: I'm Jewish, my ex was the daughter of immigrants from Eastern Europe and Iraq, her step family was Israeli, I have a few close Arab and Persian friends. Soooo... This movie probably hit closer to home for me than for most, allowing me to appreciate the humor more. That being said, I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud several times, though they were not the type of laughs that make you feel good about yourself. Deffinitely glad I skipped it in the theatres, but also had fun. Good *mindless* comedy, but not the type of movie one has to see... just the type of movie that is worth seeing if it is available and you want to watch a mindless comedy.