Skip to main content

Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

@The Old Man posted:

This Friday a gift is being delivered to my TV set, David Fincher's Mank. I am a solid Citizen Kane fanboy and this is supposed to be a definitive look at the creation of the movie with a focus on its co-writer Herman Mankiewicz. Incredibly the screenplay was written by Fincher's late father who died in 2003.

However, I am not a fan of David Fincher. I still believe his first breakout movie, SE7EN, is his only really good movie. I mean what was the point of remaking The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I did like very much his series, Mindhunters which was unfortunately cancelled after two very successful seasons. The reason? So Fincher could work on Mank.

So last night I notice that Zodiac was on. I've avoided this film because I couldn't see the point of a mystery/thriller with no solution. I was OK with the first murders at the lovers' lane, but the scene at the lake--it was finally, why am I watching this? I don't want to see another scene of terrorized victims as we see in movie after movie. Maybe I'm getting old, well yeah I am old, but I just don't find this entertaining. Keeping my fingers crossed for Mank.

My wife and I just watched Zodiac for the first time this weekend.  I heard a podcast that went on and on about what a masterpiece it was.  Not so much, in our opinion.  Decent enough movie, but that's it.  SE7EN remains one of our favorite movies, definitely favorite of Fincher.  We also were disappointed to hear Mindhunter has come to an end.