Skip to main content

Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

This Friday a gift is being delivered to my TV set, David Fincher's Mank. I am a solid Citizen Kane fanboy and this is supposed to be a definitive look at the creation of the movie with a focus on its co-writer Herman Mankiewicz. Incredibly the screenplay was written by Fincher's late father who died in 2003.

However, I am not a fan of David Fincher. I still believe his first breakout movie, SE7EN, is his only really good movie. I mean what was the point of remaking The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I did like very much his series, Mindhunters which was unfortunately cancelled after two very successful seasons. The reason? So Fincher could work on Mank.

So last night I notice that Zodiac was on. I've avoided this film because I couldn't see the point of a mystery/thriller with no solution. I was OK with the first murders at the lovers' lane, but the scene at the lake--it was finally, why am I watching this? I don't want to see another scene of terrorized victims as we see in movie after movie. Maybe I'm getting old, well yeah I am old, but I just don't find this entertaining. Keeping my fingers crossed for Mank.

Last edited by The Old Man