Skip to main content

Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

@Bytown Rick posted:

Thanks TOM.  Hoped you might chime in.  Thanks for the suggestion on viewing order.

We don't have The Lodger, but do have the rest on your list.  As well as earlier things like Blackmail.   So we will proceed chronologically as you suggest.

The Lodger, being in the public domain, is on YouTube--The Lodger 1927, I'm happy to say. It's far from a perfect film, however there are many great scenes among which the pacing floor is at the top. The film has a number of standard Hitchcock devices. To avoid spoiling I will only mention the use neon signs at the beginning. They run through a number of Hitchcock films culminating in the spellbinding green scene in Vertigo. I could truly carry on for days about his films, so I'll leave you to your discovery. However, even the worst Hitchcock movies, and there's a bunch including his last British picture Jamaica Inn, are chock-full of delicious Hitchcock goodness.

(I should mention that the tinting of the film is considered correct. Also, if you're hardcore, Hitchcock's first movie, The Pleasure Garden -- 1925 is also on YouTube.)

Last edited by The Old Man