Skip to main content

Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

@steve8 posted:

Coincidentally we watched Foreign Correspondent last night. Not a Hitchcock classic.

Watched the documentary Johnny Cash - American Rebel the night before. Decent.

Part of the problem with Foreign Correspondent (which I think I like better than you) is that Joel McCrea was not really and Hitchcock leading man. Hitchcock therefore, as he would also in future movies, gave more to George Sanders to do and he almost becomes the second leading man. Also Edmund Gwynn was a Hitchcock favorite all the way back to the silent The Skin Game in 1931 but his role here is rather silly.

Things I love about the movie: The assassination scene, the mysterious desolate area of  windmills and the spectacular crash. As explained in Wikipedia, "One of the sequences in the film that continues to have a strong effect on viewers is the mid-ocean crash of the flying boat after it is shot down by a German destroyer. In 1972, in an interview with Dick Cavett, Hitchcock discussed some details of how the scene was created. Footage taken from a stunt aircraft diving over the ocean was rear-projected on rice paper in front of the cockpit set, while behind the rice paper were two chutes connected to large water tanks. The chutes were aimed at the windshield of the cockpit so that water would break through the rice paper at the right moment, simulating the crash of the aircraft into the ocean."

Hitchcock had two Best Picture nominations for 1940 for this and for Rebecca. With the force of producer David O. Selznick Rebecca of course won. There would never be another Best Picture nomination for Hitchcock after this.