Skip to main content

Reply to "MOVIES: What are you watching?"

@The Old Man posted:
<snipped the aspect ratio lesson>

This is a movie with very few people and almost an hour of just two people talking in a car. The narrow screen AR helps to enhance the pushing together of these two characters. So it's justified but it also adds to the disturbing quality of this deliberately slow moving story. Both the leads are great. To see Jessie Plemons go from playing that most horrible of creeps on Breaking Bad to this totally opposite person is to see his range. Also you can't help be impressed with Irish actress Jessie Buckley. I first became aware of her from Chernobyl as the pregnant wife of the lead scientist. She is also in this year's Fargo. Also of note is Toni Collette and particularly David Thewis who I still shudder in horror thinking about him in Naked

So the plot? It's a guy taking his girlfriend to meet his parents for the first time, but of course it's Charlie Kaufman so it's really about memory. This is his first film written or directed in 5 years. This is only his third film that he's directed. I found this one more accessible than Synecdoche, New York and I have not see Anomalisa. I would put this at the top of two I've seen that he's directed. And of his screenplays I there is not one I haven't liked and I love: Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (ESOTSM from now on.)  Right after watching itoet I immediately rewatched ESOTSM and found more I liked about it. This too is a movie that needs rewatching. So this is highly recommended but judging by its Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB from now on) rating it will not be liked by many.

Wasn't Jessie Buckley the pregnant wife of one of the firemen in Chernobyl?

I also saw I'm Thinking of Ending Things recently. Very strange film and I honestly didn't remember it from the book I read a couple of years ago. So I'm thinking of reading the book again. I agree that all of the actors were very good.