Skip to main content

Reply to "Measurable parameters to determine when an opened bottle of wine "goes off""

PH, Smile

EnoSip, "scientifically possible"? Certainly. Just taste it and decide for yourself if a bottle is "off" or not. That doesn't make it a necessarily widely applicable measure for the population at large, nor does it provide (necessarily) an indication of "why" the wine is "off" (unless you, as the taster, have experience with different flaws and the genetic ability to discern such flaws).

Sadly, this does not provide you with any useful info for designing a sensor to determine when a wine is "off". Even limiting this to an over-the-hill type of measure is impossible, IMHO.

Heck, I've had discussions with a wine buddy on what I would expect to be the simpler mechanism for how to determine when a wine has been heat damaged, and we came to the conclusion that too many variables were in play.

My final thought would be if you're trying to measure whether a bottle is "off" after it has been opened, then that is too late. Unless you bought it from the SAQ, in which case just tasting it yourself is sufficient. Smile