Reply to "March 2008 What's for dinner?"

quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's never the same. If I'm using steak, I usually get skirt steak and trim it very well with a razor sharp knife, then cut it into uniform bite-sized pieces. Each ingredient is prepared separately. I take scallions, cut off the green portion and the root tips. I always peel away the outer layer and then wash and dry them and cut them vertically, then into 1 inch segments. I mince the garlic. If using snow peas, I cut off the tips and wash and dry them.

I use a heavy cast iron chicken cooker. It's like a heavy cast iron skillet, only the sides are higher and it has a glass cover. I add a tiny amount of peanut oil and, when it starts to smoke, stir-fried the steak, being careful not to fully cook it. I then put it and all juices in a bowl and add some more peanut oil, very little, and stir-fry the scallions, then remove them to another bowl. I then do the same with the snow peas. Next, I turn the heat and sautee the garlic, being careful not to let it brown.

When it has sauteed enough, I add some of the liquid that has accumulated in the bowl with the steak, some dry Sherry, some chicken/Portobello demi-glace I've made and keep in the freezer, and whatever spices I feel like adding, maybe some 5 spice, or cardamom, cumin, savory, ancho chile, etc. I turn up the heat to reduce, then add the rest of the liquid from the steak. When reduced enough, I add a little soy sauce and sesame oil, then all the cooked ingredients and stir to heat through and serve. I think I do it pretty well. Guests request it. I serve it with chili sauce on the side for guests to add as they see fit.
Sounds good. Thanks!