Reply to "Louisville, KY in September"

Just got back last night, and we had a blast! The people in Louisville are just incredibly friendly and awesome.

As to tours, we walked around downtown Louisville the first day. Our hotel was the Embassy Suites downtown, right next to the "Fourth Avenue Experience", sort of like Fremont Street in Vegas. We hit Evan Williams, Michter's Fort Nelson, and Rabbit Hole. All were different and interesting. On the tours we did, they end up with a tasting, and most of the time the tour guide imbibed with us. Wish I could get a job like that! 

Second day, drove down to Bardstown and hit Maker's Mark in Loretto, (aka: the middle of nowhere), and Jim Beam on the way back. Tried to see Four Roses, but we just missed it; they closed at 3pm. Way too early for bourbon lovers, imo.

Third day, headed east to Buffalo Trace and Woodford's Reserve. (Note: I always thought the word "Reserve" was related to the product, but it turns out it references the land it is located on, aka "Woodford's Reserve".)  I bought a bottle of bourbon there, and for an extra $10, they inscribed our names in gold lettering. (Should have waited until after the tasting, as we both liked their double wood bottling even more.)  Woodford's was absolutely gorgeous horse pasture country, and Buffalo Trace was so big, the grounds could easily pass for a small company town. We agreed that we enjoyed the BT tour the most, which also happened to be the only one that was free. Then we motored thru Lexington, which was interesting, but we agreed, not as genteel as Louisville. Had a few drinks at a place called Oscar Diggs, and were mildly amused to see Transylvania University.

As to food, between the time that we booked the trip and when we left, my friend was, shall we say, between positions. So we decided to skip Jeff Ruby's, and ate at the Seelbach (fantastic Hot Brown's!), Bob's Steak and Chophouse at the Omni (excellent steak meals there, too), and Whiskey Dry. Imbibed in town among other places, at the Old Seelbach Bar, and the Brown Hotel Lobby Bar.

(On a strange footnote: the last night, I was thumbing thru one of the tourist magazines and came across a listing for the Neeley Family Distillery, in Sparta, KY, which happens to be my last name. Unfortunately, it was out of our way, and I didn't have time to visit.)  But we had a wonderful time, and both agreed that this won't be our last visit to Louisville. 

(Sorry Italianwino, I forgot to email you. Next time!)