Skip to main content

Reply to "Lose any restaurants lately?"

Not lost yet, but I was very upset when I recently heard the news that the original 13 Coins restaurant in Seattle, voted one of the top 5 late night restaurants in the nation by Food Network Magazine, is going to be a victim of our own brand of Urban Sprawl.
For those that don't know, the south Lake Union area, an admittedly neglected space for a few decades now, has been systematically bought up, block by block, by the likes of Paul Allen (Vulcan Enterprises) and Jeff Bezos (Amazon), in order to house and employ their legions of tech workers. The location that 13 Coins occupies has apparently been targeted for one of their high-rise projects.
Since 1967, this has been the best, and now only, 24/7 restaurant in downtown Seattle. And is now the last bastion of gracious dining in a city gone mad. I have been immersing myself in their leather, high-backed captain's chairs at the counter of the exhibition kitchen and enjoying the old-school service and vibe for well over 30 years. They will be sadly missed.