Reply to "Learn Italian"

quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Thanks for the responses. The Pimsleur course is totally audio, with an emphasis on getting the student up and running quickly on "conversational" Italian. No reading or writing involved. I am almost done with the intro course, and find it to be a reasonably well done course. The Rosetta Stone DVD program also includes voice recognition components, which is appealing.

Re: Japanese. I believe you! I was born and raised in Japan, and the language is tough to learn, and extremely tough for a Westerner to read and write. Immersion in any language is a great way to learn quickly.

Any one else with any specific experience with these courses?

PH

I've used Rosetta Stone French and found it to be a decent immersion course. It simply doesn't contend with the experience of actually being in the country where the language is natively spoken. I mean, how often do you hear native conversations that include the phrases, "The girl jumps," or "The man is inside the car." I would suggest finding a local university that offers a continued learning language course that you could take at night or something. For those intersted in learning French, there are many chapters of the Alliance Francaise around the globe; they offer comprehensive, reasonably priced courses as well as social events where you really get to practice conversational French. Perhaps there is something similar to this for those wanting to learn italian.