Skip to main content

Reply to "LCBO Price Alert"

quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
I'm starting to think about Christmas wine-giving.

I have two categories of wine recipients. There are those who are interested in wine and I have no difficulties finding wine gifts for them. The other (larger) category are those people who drink wines but aren't especially involved with their wine choices. These are the ones I have a harder time with. I usually try to put together a selection with one sparkling, a basic red & white, and a dessert wine. The pails they sell at the LCBO make a good base for wrapping up 4 bottles as a gift.

This year I am at a bit of a loss to find a sparkling wine and a dessert wine. There are lots of options around, but I can't think of any real QPRs in those two categories. The issue is that I try to find wines which are not on everybody's standby list (e.g. Segura Viudas) but I'd rather find something that might be a little new for the recipients.

Any suggestions?

Not sure what your budget is but the Yalumba Museum Reserve Muscat is delicious, has an attractive bottle and there is still plenty around at about $25. Both the Stratus Icewines (red and Reisling) are nice but are pricier at $39.