Skip to main content

Reply to "Knives"

quote:
Originally posted by mjbleck:
The pots and pans thread seems to be begging for a knife thread, so I'll give it a go.<br /><br />Henkels is good, but Wusthof Trident is, in my opinion, just a little bit better. The knives are a little more delicate and elegant in how they taper off.<br /><br />I've also got a few Global knives which are super sharp and relatively inexpensive. The main drawback is that their spines have sharp edges that become too painful after many hour of use. I have one that actually cut me. The top of the knive, that is, not the part that's supposed to be sharp. I was carving a goose when I realized it wasn't that rare, and all that blood was coming from somewhere else. <br /><br />I also have a fondness for old carbon steel knives - the kind that rust if you don't treat them right. The metal is softer, so they sharpen up to a razor's edge in a flash. But they can discolor certain foods and are not always the best made.<br /><br />I guess I should point out that I am a chef professionally, and might care a little bit more about my knives than others. Us chefs tend to build up elaborate knife collections that make other people raise an eyebrow.<br /><br />Anybody have any interesting pieces?

Globals "cut" you?? I use Globals 12-16 a day every day. Never a "cut." I've used almost every knife by every company and Globals, in my opinoin, are the best.