Reply to "January 2019 - What Are You Drinking?"

steve8 posted:
doubled posted:
mangiare posted:

2007 Querce Bettina BDM - last one.  Really good juice, shady cork. 

Can you say a bit more about the cork?  I recently opened an 06 Riserva which was shipped directly from QB to the US.   I noticed the cork from my bottle had wine stains about halfway up and there were vertical lines from the bottom of the cork.  I thought it was interesting.

I can't answer for Mangiare but the only bottles I've seen with suspect corks have been the 07 normale. I haven't seen any on any bottles from 2004-2006. I do have a couple of 07 Riservas, but haven't opened any yet. Hopefully they weren't stoppered with the same batch of corks as the normale.

I've heard numerous reports of cork issues with QB.  Vincentric had multiple bottles of 2010 Rosso with corks stained all the way to the top and/or signs of leakage.  On the Wine has had many issues with '04 normales (though I don't know if it was TCA or leaky corks) and most of the bottles I've opened '04 through '10 have corks stained farther up than expected for their age.  Like mangiare said, when the wines are on, they're beautiful but I think it's safe to say they need a new cork supplier if they haven't switched yet.  I have not tried anything more recent than a 2010, so this may be a long-resolved issue.