Reply to "Italy - Venice, Florence, Siena, Rome"

thistlintom posted:

Some interesting suggestions, the kind of which I was looking for.  We definitely plan on the Uffizi.  We are staying inside the walls of Siena and look forward to wandering around there.  We are going to do a small group tour for a day around the Siena area.  Also planning on the Borghese and the Spanish Steps.  There is a suggested walking route by Steves that takes us around that area.  Also thinking of going to Murano and yes I am a boat person.  I have sailed small boats most of my life.

Thanks and appreciate more suggestions.

Murano is quite nice to walk about if you like glass.    Be careful with prices.  Try to shop ahead of time on line and elsewhere to get a feel. Otherwise you might well overpay.

We were at a shop in Murano.  Nice place, nice salesman. Gave us some Prosecco to drink. He said, "I just want you to know that this is not a discount store. We do not negotiate the prices. We do not bargain. What you see as the price is the price."  Fine.  We walked around. Saw some nice pieces with pretty exorbitant prices.  Salesman hovering.  We just were not interested in paying that much for the stuff.  He sensed that and said, "I see that you like this piece but you are hesitant because of the price.  Suppose I took off 15%? No, make it 20% off."
Well, the guy who said they didn't bargain started to bargain.  We wound up buying a very nice piece at a "discount". Probably overpaid.  In fact, I'm pretty sure we overpaid because he took me downstairs and had me pick out some nice Murano glass cufflinks and he threw them in for free.

But, the piece looks nice.