Reply to "Is there really much risk to storing wines long-term in the basement?"

steve8 posted:
sd-wineaux posted:

Two years isn't all that long, so I'm not really surprised at your result.  I think the typical feedback given on this forum regarding storage in a closet (interior, away from direct sunlight) is that up to two years is ok.  So thanks for verifying that!

I would worry about wines in a basement such as yours that I needed to lay down for 10-20 years. Any chance of you performing that experiment?

FWIW my passive cellar goes from about 50-72F over the course of the year. It's a gradual shift as the seasons change, no dramatic spikes either way. I've been storing wine in there for 11 years now and have yet to find a bottle which I thought was even remotely aged prematurely, although I have not done any side-by-side comparisons described above. In a way it's disappointing for me because a little accelerated ageing might allow me to buy more of the 2015 Brunello when released.

Glad to hear it!  Post back in another 9 years, hopefully regarding some bottles you've had for that entire span.  That would be very interesting.