Reply to "Is one bottle a day too much?"

A bottle a day is too much for me and, I believe, the vast majority of men regardless of age. I will drink a bottle during the week in the course of three nights and another bottle on the weekend in the course of two nights. Anything in excess of three bottles in a week will usually have bad consequences such as sluggishness at work, a hangover, or reduced resistance to viruses and germs.

Less drinking also heightens my enjoyment of wine. During the holidays, in particular, I notice that I don't look forward to it or savor the experience as much when it's part of every day - sometimes beginning right after noon. Last night I poured a half-bottle of a very nice cabernet down the sink. It was the last survivor of the dozen or so bottles popped Christmas and was beginning to turn. I couldn't bring myself to drink it just for the sake of not wasting a couple of glasses wine.

Draw the line at where it interferes with your daily life including work, relationships, time missed doing homework with the kids, and other valuable time lost either drinking or recovering from drinking. When you get to my age, you may also be more attuned to the "silent" health consequences of alcohol. You don't necessarily have to feel bad in the morning to be robbing yourself of the quantity and quality of life. I believe these things, but don't always practice them myself. Apologies for the "preachy" tone...