Reply to "Is one bottle a day too much?"

quote:
Originally posted by RDCollins:
A full bottle a day seems like an awful lot.

For one thing, it's about 600 calories, which would add over a pound of body fat per week unless you reduced your consumption of other foods. But if you're like me, you eat more when you drink.

For another, it's about five 5-ounce glasses, enough to raise the blood alcohol level of a 160-pound man to .12, or one-and-one-half times the legal limit for driving a non-commercial vehicle. The body metabolizes about one drink per hour, so that's enough to keep you buzzed for several hours and at the DUI level for at least a couple. Habitual drinkers think they are less affected by high BAC levels, but that's largely untrue (except as compared to non-drinkers).

And then there's the liver problems. True, physicians tout the beneficial effects of alcohol on the body, but not where it's contraindicated. The negative effects are heightened if you have liver disease or if you're taking meds that are hard on the liver, such as statins or niacin.

That said, I drink 1/2 bottle per day, as does my wife, despite me taking statins and having marginal fatty liver disease. It's a lifestyle choice I've made in part because I'm more concerned about dying from heart disease. Or at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. For now.

Dylan Thomas said it best: "An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do."

One killjoy in every thread.