Skip to main content

Reply to "is it silly to ask....."

quote:
Originally posted by mmethan:
is your "temperature guidance" true for all wine types and how do you feel about temperature once the wine is open, assuming we dont drink at one sitting??

Well, that depends (partially on how lazy I am at the time). But first let's hit the time just before you open it. Obviously, a white wine you're going to want to cool down from room temp usiing your fridge. But the fridge is colder than you want to serve your wine. So about 2 hours in the fridge from the closet before you pop and pour, or take your white wine out of the fridge about 20 minutes before serving if it's been in there overnight.

You'd think the red wines would be simpler - serve at room temp, right? Well, many reds I do like that way, but others (generally, softer, lighter reds, but also ones with too much alcohol or some other characteristic in the aromas and/or taste that I want to reduce) should be served slightly chilled, perhaps all the way down to the cellar temp of 55 deg F. About 20 minutes in the fridge from the closet is a good starting point for this. That's something that you can experiment with and decide for yourself what you like.

After you've opened it and - gasp - not finished it, your wine should go into the fridge. The cooler temperatures will keep the wine in an acceptable condition longer. But try to not let them go for more than a day or two, although the sweeter wines will hold up for longer. Sometimes (this is where my laziness kicks in) I'll let a red wine sit on the counter if I'm definitely going to finish it off the next day. Most times it's fine, but sometimes it will kick the bucket. Again, experiment for yourself.