Skip to main content

Reply to "is it silly to ask....."

Not silly - just too simple. It's just nice to give a thorough answer to something like this and most people here are too lazy to get into it Razz and some first time posters will write something like this and then they never return.

I am forum lazy too, but I'm hiding from the wife and kids now while they are cleaning. No one can recommend a wine to you if they don't know what you like and what you have access to. I mean they "can", but it's better to do on your own.

I can only speak to what I did that helped way back when. Think back to recent wines you enjoyed and did not enjoy. Style, alcohol, country, grape etc. Go to a good wine store near you and ask to speak to the owner or manager. Don't waste your time on the 19 year old kid at the register. Tell the owner or someone older you want to get into wine and these are the last few wines you have had and tell him what you liked or didn't like about them. He will (should suggest) bottles you may like. They want you to come back of course, so they'll do the right thing. You may not like all the wines he suggests, but that's part of the learning curve. Tell him your price range, although he will most likely ask or will know from the examples you tell him. I'd stay above $15 for red wine to be safe.

Keep a little journal. Go back to the store and tell him what you liked, didn't like etc. and stock up from there. Go on these boards a lot. Read some professional critics, but unlike what others here may feel - reading critics is NOT the first step. Just drink the styles you are liking and what your store or people here are suggesting. Use the search button on tasting notes of producers you have liked and from there you'll wing it like it the rest of us did.

Ok. Now I'm being called down... Smile Cheers!