Skip to main content

Reply to "In the market for a gas grill"

quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Dan cleans his every year I believe so he could probably answer this. But the lazy MF'er only checks the forums when he smells an offline. Wink

I'm reading up on it now based on the manual, seems pretty simple...just need to get to it. Although I do wonder to what extent others go to (i.e. grates, flavorizer bars, and inside grill cavity, or go through everything such as burner tubes, etc.).

I notice that you mentioned how often Dan cleans his, but you don't mention cleaning yours at all!

WS -- I don't clean every year, but try to make an effort to clean every few years or as needed (e.g., if I see that any of the burners appear to be clogged). For me, cleaning has always been pretty simple (takes less than an hour).
1) Scrape any obvious oil, burnt food off surfaces
2) Take a stiff wire brush and brush over the burners to ensure that none of the gas "holes" are clogged

With my old Summit, after 7 years, I did hire a local BBQ ship to come out and do an over-haul on the Weber. They took the insides apart, identified a few parts that were worn and needed replacing, gave me the part numbers so I could contact Weber, and showed me how to re-install once I received the parts). My semi-regular cleanings kept the grill working well, but this over-haul brought it back to its original cooking state. Cost was ~$150 for what took 1 guy 2 hours of work and was well worth it