Skip to main content

Reply to "In the market for a gas grill"

quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:

I find that the new ones are a little thinner on the doors and accessory panels. However the cover and base seem on par with my older Summit. I find the overall design to be much more functional and well thought of. They addressed a lot of issues I didn't like (not because I mentioned anything, just noticed that it's better)
The controls were flat before and the snow would freeze the buttons in the winter, now they're vertical, there's also a slope on the control panel that the snow and ice will melt off easier.
A lot of other changes for the positive....

The one thing I like about Weber is they work well and work like new for almost their whole life. My 2005 is just as predictable as when it was new.
Also as stated, the customer service is top notch.
Although their distribution will be changing in Canada, they were distributed along side the Broil King line and now will be handled by their own sales and distribution.

speaking of genesis only

my undersatnding 2008 was the switch over to the cheaper grade of stainless steels. The 2005 ones were built like tanks and remain in good favor. It's the recent new models that have me concerned.

I dont particular take good care of my grills and i'd hate for a 700$ weber genesis to start rusting after 2 years of sitting outside. The older 300 grade steels this wouldn't happen. the 400 grade steels puts it on par with other cheap commercial grills, no matter what gauge /thickness the steel is. Why because that's simply a property of the 400 grade steels. It rusts. It might last, but it will rust. If it's thicker, it just means it'll take longer to rust all the way through. That is my concern because I can just as easily pay 150$ for a cheapo grill i use for 2 years and throw out because it looks ugly and is rusted and buy 4-5 of them over a 10 year period vs a weber tht costs me 800$ and rusts after 2 years.

what do you think Vinaigre?