Skip to main content

Reply to "In the market for a gas grill"

Jorge- I'm afraid you are incorrect about the value of the Weber grill. You might prefer to buy a new one every few years and that's cool with me but in the long run the Weber is of greater value and it is a superior device as the quality of the burn goes.

I think I spent about $500 on my Weber about 11 years ago (it was a $100 off at the end of the season). I live in Chicago, the grill is outside (but under a covered deck) 365 days per year. It gets snowed on when the weather is bad.

I use it on average 3-5 times per week, a little less in the winter (but I still use it), a little more in the summer. I've replaced the burners twice, flavor bars twice, cleaned it out twice, and replaced the grates once. I have never replaced the starter, it still lights mostly on the first click. I can't imagine when I'm buying a new one, I could see it lasting another 10 years.

Parts are so easy to buy it's ridiculous. I go to Weber's website, answer a series of questions (is your grill black? Is the temperature gauge in the middle or on the side? Where are the knobs? etc) and it tells me what parts I need. My total outlay including parts and the grill is about $700. The per-annum cost is about $65, not including gas, and that number will go down over time assuming it lasts.

I've owned crap ones before, the most they'd last under these circumstances is 3-4 years and the burn is terrible and uneven.

Bottom line- Weber is the only grill to buy.