Skip to main content

Reply to "I am new & here to learn"

Sure, I was being a little bit cranky. So, I went back and re-read GregT's post...and it made me cranky again. I can't stand it when someone thinks so highly of himself and everyone else is a moron, unless they approach wine (and food, apparently) his way.

"You can try to pick out different things like pomegranate...one of those tedious people...basically bull$hit about what they're tasting..." What kind of load of garbage is that? I like to try and find specific flavors in a wine, both on the palate and in the nose. According to Lord GregT, however, anyone who does that is tedious and full of $hit.

"I'm always skeptical...[crap food]...and then pose as discerning wine tasters..." Really? Seriously, really?

"[Pay attention] to every thing you put in your mouth." I am certainly in favor of savoring bites of the best food but, I'm pretty sure there were a few bites of my turkey and provolone sandwich that went down without a second thought at yesterday's lunch.

"Put and oreo in your mouth...you will never eat another one." Please. Get off your high horse.

--------

I will agree, however, with the taste, taste, taste approach. But, leave it at that. Ask yourself one question: do you like it? If so, buy and drink more of that wine. If not, don't. Try many different types and styles. I also think that, since the OP has been drinking wine for quite awhile, reading is a great next step, along with trying new styles of wine at the same time. That can teach you a lot. It was certainly helpful to me in my wine "education."