Reply to "How often do you eat red meat?"

I eat much less red meat now, which for the purposes of my discussion here means beef, than I once did. I was reading a magazine last year at some point, I can’t remember what magazine it was, and there was an article about things you should try to do at some point in your life. One of the items suggested was to go vegetarian for one month. At the beginning of 2008 my wife and I said that through the month of January we would not eat beef, pork, poultry, or lamb. The only meat that we ate was seafood so I guess we cheated somewhat. However, I still have not eaten any beef in 2008 and have had chicken only once. I do not have plans to totally eliminate beef because I love it too much but I am going to make an effort to scale back the amount of beef that I eat. I once ate beef 4 or 5 times per week but have no plans to do that again. I once used to believe that, because I exercise quite a bit, I could eat just about anything I wanted to and I would still maintain a high degree of health. I now believe that there is just too much valid research and literature showing the detrimental effects of beef on cardiac health.