Skip to main content

Reply to "How often do you eat red meat?"

Spo, I was a vegetarian for 12 years. I was in very good health but I wasn't one of those vegetarians who subsisted on french fries.

I decided to stop because I hated that most restaurants only offered veggie plates or some ghastly crap. I also like to travel and didn't want to be one of those people who makes hosts or hostesses feel weird about my choices. I also wanted to raise my good cholesterol and since eating fish it has gone up to protective range. My ldl is still great. My blood levels as a vegetarian were always in ideal range except for hdl.

I was never the type of vegetarian who looked down on others for their choices (except for people who ordered their steaks well done!) I started in my 20s and it just kind of stuck with me and then I got worried about how my body would react to meat. The first couple of times I ate meat, my body was not happy at all so I transitioned very slowly. The oddest thing is that I am now allergic to salmon but could eat it before. That sucks as I like the taste.

I have not eaten chicken since I started eating meat. I never really liked it before, so why start now? Fish, especially sushi, is my favorite. I do love a good medium rare steak or burger once in a while.
Last edited by een