Reply to "How much longer will this forum survive?"

kumazam posted:

100% the new format is why i don't post anymore and the only reason i'm writing this is because this thread compelled me to. i maybe check in once every 3-4 months now, if i remember to, just to see how the board is doing, and because of the format i'm usually only hear 5-10 min before i can't stand it anymore and leave. not that i'm anyone or my opinion matters more than others, just a single voice. good to see some familiar names kicking around.

Agreed.  So many reasons have been posted as to why interest has dwindled, but this pretty much sums it up for me. 

Another reason, for me, is that I spent a LOT of time on this site when I was exploring wines and getting to know people.  I depend more now on my own developed tastes/preference (or undeveloped if you think my tastes are for sh!t!) and the friends I've met here.  Thus, this site is not essential for me. 

HOWEVER, there should still be a regular infusion of new and younger people, just as there are on others sites (audio, esp.) that I subscribe to.  Interest in wine is huge, globally, and growing.  The fact that we are NOT attracting new people says a lot about the format and how WS (mis)manages the site.  I suppose many younger people are getting their wine info other ways and from other sources.  But, the serious young wine enthusiast surely would stay away from this anachronistic, clunky format.