Skip to main content

Reply to "How far in advance do you rub your brisket?"

It turned out extremely well - lots of comments about how I'm not committed for every year hereafter...which is fine with me. And...I gotta get a Treager. That thing is the bomb. Made it so easy.

I kept the brisket whole and trimmed a ton of fat off. I did indeed find that hard part of fat that mneeley490 called the "deckle fat" and cut a lot of that out, too. Rubbed it at about 8:00 p.m. on Thursday night. We also had a flat cut only donated the day before, so we decided to cook that too.

The big guy went on at 4:00 a.m., cold, straight from the fridge. I read in several spots that a cold piece of meat takes on more smoke. Plus, I wasn't getting up at 2:00 and 4:00 a.m. Went on at 225 degrees with mesquite. We threw the additional flat cut on at about 9:00 a.m. We were trucking along well, but hit a bit of a stall at around 155-160 degrees, but it was only about 11:00 a.m. I took them both out, wrapped them tightly in foil, and back in they went. We timed the cooking well, as both the whole brisket and the flat were at 195-200 right around the same time. We took them out at 3:00 and put them, still wrapped, into an ice chest lined with towels and wrapped them tightly. Amazingly, at 7:00, we removed them and they were still almost too hot to handle with bare hands. I wish I would've done pics. The smoke ring was a thing of beauty, and it was so tender and juicy. The flat cut of the whole brisket had a more classic brisket texture, while the point was more tender and clearly more fatty. It's amazing that two adjacent cuts of meat have perpendicular grains, so we sparated the two cuts before slicing.

This was the rub I sued (thanks to Oklahoma Joe), and it was killer:

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Thanks again for all the advice! We have leftovers (after two meals) and are making chili with it next week.