quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Some of you jokers have done a real nice job at demonstrating some real restraint! We're talking about rubbing your meat here, and you've all been well behaved! Bravo! Razz

I picked up the meat yesterday and the butcher handed over a beautiful, but HUGE 15 pounder. It's the flat and the point, all in one cut.

Would you brisket masters advice separating the flat and point, or just keeping them as one and smoking it that way?

Recommend separating for 2 reasons:
1) Flat cut is generally going to be not as thick as the point cut so it would be hard to get even cooking across both parts. By the time the point cut is cooked, the flat cut will be overcooked

2) Point cut should have much more marbling so is going to really benefit from low and slow cooking. Flat cut also works well low and slow, but I've just not be able to get the tenderness that I've gotten from a point cut b/c it's generally a leaner part of the cut

2 Cents

i suck at cooking the flat

I've had slightly better luck with roasting it
but not muc

Try steaming it like a pastrami. Then you can add the char on the grill after if you so like.

you end up with a chunk of meat that tastesl ike a rock

the only luck i have wtiht eh flat is to cut it up for stir fry and adding corn starch to it