Skip to main content

Reply to "how do those synthetic corks fair compared to real cork?"

Sorry this is in two posts, I had to run off for a moment. Anyway:

I would be more than willing to purcahse an Etude or Shafer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon with a screw top, but I'm not so sure that I would have purchased my 2005 Domaine Armand Rousseau Chambertin in a screwtop, had I been offered that option. I pray the bottle won't be corked and that the cork doesn't leak, but, for the time being, I feel more comfortable with my Cote-de-Nuits under cork, than I would were they under srewcap. Pinots can have reduction problems due to conservative pumping over and what not during the wine making process. Also, what will those molecules in the Tin or saranax closures do to the wine after 35 years. I don't know, nobody knows. The only way to know is to put a screwtop on a Grand Cru and wait 35 years. There are so many slow chemical reactions occuring in wine that the chemisty is too complicated to figure out, even if you were an organic and inorganic theoretical chemist from the U of M. The synthetic and metallic components of a screwcap could potentially have adverse effects upon the long-term (15yr+) changes that occur when a wine ages. That's my only question when it comes to screwtops. I'm fine with screw tops of New World wines, in fact, I like them a lot.