Skip to main content

Reply to "how do those synthetic corks fair compared to real cork?"

Gigond Ass, you are correct, Plumpjack Reserve Cab has been bottled with both screw cap closures and cork since at least 1997. James Laube's 10yr retrospective will try some of these wines this year. Hopefully he gets to try both a cork and screw type bottlings.

Chaad: When you are talking about the proven track record of screw caps, are you talking about the saranax closures or the tin closures? Plumpjack Reserve uses the tin of course, but I don't know what other producers use. And like I said before, I am looking for more than anecdotal evidence: a few wines of similar style bottled in 1997 that age fine do not prove a system as acceptable in my book. I suppose you can be a uniter or a divider. I'm more of a lumper, so when I say synthetic, I am referring to any type of closure that doesn't come from a living biological organism. A metal-polymer product is synthetic in my book. I would then further catagorize synthtic closures as glass/crystal, polymer cork-like closures, and screwtop closures. As for proven ageability, I don't think California wines fit the bill. I don't routinely put Cali-wines into my cellar expecting them to last 10+years. Most of them, even the better bottlings, fair better in the first decade than the second. Sure, there are some timeless bottlings of California Cabernet, but most of them drink better young. When referring to ageabiltiy, I was thinking more along the lines of Bordeaux and Burgundy. I've not seen a single Vosne-Romanee or Gevry-Chambertin with a screw top. The Classified crus in Bordeaux don't come too often (any?) with screw-caps. There are Bordeaux wines that are 60 years old that still are drinking well under cork. Now, I'm not a fan of cork, but the point I'm trying to get across is that I have some nice wines that I plan to keep for 20+ years, and it's not been proved that screw caps are the best choice. Maybe they are, and I hope we do get a better system than corks, but until you show me a 1945 Cheval Blanc with a synthetic screw cap closure, I don't think that there is ample evidence that screw caps are better than cork. We can theorize that they are, but theories are often change to agree with the facts, not the other way around. BTW, I miss Zingermans, what a place. As for not having done my reading, I do try and read as much as I can on the subject because I am genuinely interested in it, but am also interested in finding out what other people know without necessarily showing all my cards. I am interested it reading George Taber's book: To Cork or not to Cork: Tradition, Science, and the battle for the wine bottle, but it doesn't come out until 10-9-07.
Last edited by roentgenray