Skip to main content

Reply to "how do those synthetic corks fair compared to real cork?"

quote:
Originally posted by Grapehunter:
The problem with screw caps is that the barrier from oxygen is is too good and thus does not allow the wine to age well.

Whereas I think the screwcap issue is outside the scope of the request of this thread, I nonetheless must take exception to that statement.

Ageing under screwcap is just as good as ageing under cork, and cannot be cited as a problem.

The most reliable studies show that screwcaps have oxtrans rates the same as the best corks, only more consistently, and it seems, for longer.

For the sake of argument, and we assume the studies (e.g. ACF, AWRI) are wrong, and screwcaps have lower oxtrans rates, that means merely that the wines will age more slowly, not worse.

Is there some ideal span within which wine should mature? How long should wines live? When should they reach their peak? These are stylistic issues to be adressed by the winemaker, and ultimately, the consumer. I do not see the benefit in allowing the closure to exert its own, random will, in the way cork does.

Imagine that the cloth-and-pitch closure advocates of antiquity launched the same claim against cork, that it seals too well; would their lament bear credibility from our vantage point today?