Reply to "Greetings from..."

Taos, New Mexico at the moment.

Cafe Diablo in Torrey, Utah was good, considering the limited alternatives. If there was any rattlesnake in the rattlesnake cakes, it escaped my detection. The other food we had was dominated by whang.

We then visited Capitol Reef National Park, a conglomeration of towering rock edifices of varying unusual shapes, sizes, and colors, definitely worth a visit.

From there, we drove south to Monument Valley, possibly the most imposing scenery we've seen, but the dirt road was really dusty and rough. Then we drove to Moab, Utah for a couple of days. The sightseeing highlight in the region was Arches National Park, somewhat reminiscent of Capitol Reef and definitely worth a visit. We even visited a winery.

We had a forgettable Mexican dinner the first eveing and then a fun BYO evening with the gigabits at Desert Bistro. Food was good here, but the combinations were a little off for me. The bleu cheese dominated the tenderloin, but dinner was a great success due to the company.

Next we drove to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. This is a park dedicated to keeping the pueblo life of early Indians alive. Dinner in the Metate Dining Room was one of the better meals we've ever had in a national park. The accomodations at The Far View in were in need of a little sprucing up.

The next day (today), we drove high into the Rockies and had an excellent Mexican lunch at The Elkhorn Cafe in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. We continued into New Mexico and arrived in Taos. The New Mexico State Trooper who stopped me for speeding let me go with a promise to obey the speed limit. We just returned from dinner at Doc Martin's in the Taos Inn. The 2006 Curran Grenache Blanc ($46) was excellent and stood up to the spice. This was possibly the best dinner of the trip so far. More touring tomorrow and then off to Santa Fe for 5 days on Wednesday before heading home.